Home > ABOUT AMI
AMI is a national trade association that represents companies that process 95 percent of red meat and 70 percent of turkey products in the US and their suppliers throughout America.
Headquartered in metropolitan Washington, DC, AMI keeps its fingers on the pulse of legislation, regulation and media activity that impacts the meat and poultry industry and provides rapid updates and analyses to its members to help them stay informed. In addition, AMI conducts scientific research through its Foundation designed to help meat and poultry companies improve their plants and their products. The Institute's many meetings and educational seminars also provide excellent networking and information-sharing opportunities for members of the industry.
AMI is governed by elected leaders and
staffed by 25 professionals. AMI elected
leaders include three officers plus the
President and CEO, as well as a 68-person Board
of Directors and a 26-person Executive
Committee. Representatives on both of these
bodies include leaders in both the supplier and
packer/processor segments of the industry. AMI
has also created operating groups, called
policy committees and advisory committees,
within its membership to allow member companies
to recommend AMI policies in their primary
areas of interest. Policy committees focus on
broad functional and operational areas and
develop policy recommendations for specific
issues within these areas. Advisory committees
provide specialized advice to policy
AMI: Dedicated to being the most effective, credible and widely recognized voice of the meat and poultry industry
- To represent the industry and advocate its views
- To be a catalyst for continuous improvement
- To enhance our members' ability to anticipate and respond to the needs of their customers and suppliers
- AMI values honesty.
- AMI values the role of science and technology.
- AMI values consumers' expectations for safe, wholesome and nutritious food.
- AMI values people as a business' greatest asset.
- AMI values livestock and poultry as nutritious food sources.